Thursday 30 September 2010

Three tomatoes

I went in search of some fresh fruit one morning and got directions to a local market. Even in the centre of Accra, you can turn a corner and the street transforms from urban to rural. From cars, tarmac and kiosks there are suddenly dirt tracks, women cooking outside, pounding barrels of fufu and cows and chickens appear. In the distance is the Ghana Commercial Bank tower and Kwame Nkrumah circle (known as the circle, or circle, circle, circle!) and in a short walk it all changes back again. The market was full of women selling mountains of vegetables – chillies, okra, yams, tomatoes and tilapia, which is the main fish eaten here. I managed to get on the wrong side of one of the sellers by trying to buy only three tomatoes, which was clearly a poxy number to be buying and the woman on the stall glared and berated me in Twi and refused to serve me. Her tomatoes were only sold in bucketfuls!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so what do your flatmates do when cooking?

    When I visit, you have to make me buckets of tomato soup, please!

    ReplyDelete