Thursday 30 September 2010

Rain and a rooster

We are at the end of the rainy season at the moment so there have been several tropical showers since I arrived. The weather is sometimes as unpredictable as at home and I have to carry an umbrella around.
Rain in Makola market

The star of last week, and the epitome of my week in Adabraka was a nocturnal rooster who would wake me every morning at 2.30am and then continue to crow at 20 second intervals for the rest of the day. It felt like prison camp torture so I was sleeping with my ipod on to drown out the rooster and the other noises on the street, which included all night church services, a mechanic that started work at 5.30am and about 30 different calls to prayer. The rooster clearly has an infamous reputation amongst volunteers here and the funniest story I’ve heard is how one night it punctuated someone’s night of passion!

1 comment:

  1. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, that's amazing! your experiences as difficult as they are to get through, sound amazing! you are definitely getting an authentic, local experience! :)

    ReplyDelete