Wednesday 22 September 2010

Settling into Adabraka

It feels good to be settled into a house but it also means I have to start fending for myself! That means food, cold showers, washing my clothes by hand. The other Accra volunteers came to visit me and we tried out our first tro tro (shared minibus like a dolmus) ride back to Osu, which is the area with restaurants, hotels and a big ex-pat supermarket which sells everything I could possibly want for, but at 5 times the price.
Did my first load of handwashing! Boiled water in the kettle as felt weird to be washing clothes in cold water. They smelt surprisingly nice when they were dry. I dried them indoors as if you hang clothes out, you have to iron them really well to kill the small bugs that lay eggs in the seams  and prevent them from burrowing into your skin. Nice! Hot water and a washing machine are definitely the things I miss most at the moment!
Bought my first piece of traditional Ghanaian printed fabric on Monday. A few of the current volunteers know a good tailor and have had some really nice dresses, skirts and tops made. I am making up for bringing hardly any clothes with me  thanks to certain people culling my luggage...

4 comments:

  1. oho, resentful. ;) hardly any clothes!? doubt it. want to see the fabric so badly!! er. small bugs laying eggs and burrowing into your skin, so gross. you are my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were plenty of clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do they drive the tro tros like the insane dolmus drivers? if yes, i'm SO in!!

    if your toilet flushes, you are lucky my love :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A dolmus is like an air conditioned limo compared to a tro tro...

    ReplyDelete